By HAN News Desk
MMINNESOTA — U.S. Congresswoman Ilhan Omar and leaders of Minnesota’s Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party have sharply condemned former President Donald Trump after he moved to end Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Somalis in Minnesota and accused the Somali-American community of fueling crime and fraud in the state.
Trump announced Friday that he would immediately halt TPS protections for Somalis, claiming without evidence that “a group of Somalis is terrorizing Minnesota” and alleging billions of dollars in losses. TPS for Somalia, first introduced in 1991, is due to expire at the end of March.
Ilhan Omar dismissed Trump’s statements as collective punishment, saying:
“We do not blame an entire community for the actions of individuals.”
She noted that while isolated fraud cases had been reported in the state, Trump was using them to vilify an entire population.
Minnesota Governor Tim Walz accused Trump of targeting Somalis to divert attention from other issues, calling the remarks “predictable and dangerous.”
Advocacy groups also raised alarms. Jaylani Hussein, Executive Director of CAIR–Minnesota, told Reuters the move unfairly punishes law-abiding Somali immigrants, adding that the policy risks separating families and fueling Islamophobic narratives.
Although most Somalis in Minnesota are U.S. citizens, only 705 Somali nationals currently hold TPS — a small number compared with the more than 330,000 Haitians and 170,000 Salvadorans who benefit from the program nationwide.
Policy analysts warn that ending TPS for Somalis could strain U.S.–Somalia relations. Analyst Abshir Cumar, speaking to Reuters, said the decision threatens ongoing economic and strategic cooperation, including recent U.S. interest in Somalia’s airspace, ports, and oil exploration opportunities.
Minnesota state senator and former Minneapolis mayoral candidate Omar Fateh argued that the president lacks unilateral authority to terminate TPS, suggesting the decision may face legal challenge.




