BAIDOA – Somali National Army (SNA) forces, in coordination with South West State regional troops, have launched a large-scale security operation across multiple villages in Wanlaweyn district of the Lower Shabelle region, officials and local residents confirmed on Monday.

The operation, described as one of the most extensive in recent months, targets a militia group whose members were recently sentenced to death by a military court for killings linked to long-standing clan revenge cycles in the area. Authorities say the men are responsible for a series of assassinations and armed attacks that have destabilised communities across central and southern parts of Wanlaweyn.

Security sources told HAN News that the joint forces—supported by armoured vehicles and reinforced units—have been deployed to the villages of Gabahirig, Gudaale, Riiglooy, Dooxada, Dudumaale and Yaaqbariweyne. These rural settlements have been at the centre of repeated clan clashes that have claimed lives and displaced families over the years.

The targeted militia, reportedly led by a man known as Duqow, is believed to have been hiding among local populations while orchestrating attacks linked to clan disputes. Officials say Duqow has played a key role in coordinating recent killings, prompting federal and regional authorities to prioritise his capture.

Residents in Yaaqbariweyne said heavy fighting erupted several days ago when the joint forces encountered armed resistance from the militia, resulting in casualties on both sides. At least three people have been killed since the operation began, with fears rising that the death toll could increase as troops push deeper into militia-controlled hideouts.

Local elders say the renewed violence has created anxiety among civilians, some of whom have begun moving away from areas where troops are advancing. Humanitarian groups have previously warned that Lower Shabelle remains highly vulnerable to conflict-driven displacement due to its patchwork of clan territories and history of armed disputes.

Security officials from the federal government and South West State insist the offensive will continue until all fugitives are detained. They urged community leaders and residents to support the effort, saying cooperation is essential to breaking the cycle of retaliatory killings that has plagued Wanlaweyn for years.

Authorities are expected to provide further updates as the operation progresses, though access to many of the affected villages remains limited due to insecurity.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here